As any young entrepreneur needs make connections to get their start-up off the ground, this week on the Htet Tayza bog, I reveal five ways to perfect the art of cold calling.
Cold Calling is a Vital Tool in Any Young Entrepreneurs Arsenal
By definition, cold calling is making an unsolicited phone call in an attempt to sell goods or services. Therefore, cold calling is most often associated with sales, as it is a valuable tool in any sales executive’s arsenal to attract new customers.
However cold calling isn’t just the domain of the salesman, it’s also the domain of the young entrepreneur trying to get their start-up off the ground. After all, as a new business starter you don’t have the contacts or the money you need to generate business. Therefore, you need to generate contacts, and one way to do so is cold calling, and making a pitch to show somebody why they should become involved in your start-up venture.
Use These Five Tips to Become a Cold Calling Expert
The cut throat nature of cold calling – the fact that it often leads to having the phone slammed down on you – can make it intimidating to someone who’s green in the world of business. Don’t let cold calling stop you from making vital contacts; use the following five tips to perfect the art of cold calling…
- Start with a Hook: The largest obstacle in your path when cold calling is getting someone to stay on the line, which is why you need a ‘hook.’ For example, tell someone you’re following up from an earlier call with a colleague. Then, they will feel obligated to stay on the line.
- Tip Then Tap: One cardinal rule of cold calling, is that you need to ask as many questions as you can, to fully state your cause. Do so by tipping, then tapping. In other words, offer them a service, then withdraw. Say you’re not sure if their situation is right for the service in question, so you need to ask more questions to determine whether it’s right for them.
- Speak with Confidence: You need people to believe that you believe in your business model, otherwise they’ll wonder why they should even bother becoming involved in your venture, and put down the phone. That is why you always need to infuse your tone with confidence when cold calling.
- Watch your Pace: This one’s vital. If you’re a naturally quick speaker, someone may find it hard to understand you. This is especially true with cold calling, when the other person can’t see your lips to accentuate what you are saying. That is why you need to make sure you speak with a slow, deliberate pace when you are on a cold call.
- Practise, Practise, Practise: At the end of the day, practise makes perfect. The only way you’re going to become proficient at cold calling is to experience its realities yourself by practising. That way you can perfect your technique before you cold call for real.
The Potential Fruit of Cold Calling is Undeniable
Cold calling can seem intimidating, but the potential fruit it can bear for a young entrepreneur looking to cultivate a successful business is undeniable. That is why it is vital that you get over the hump and perfect the art of cold calling.