If you’re looking to take a long jaunt down the highway and indulge your sense your travel you’re in luck, as this week on the Htet Tayza blog I reveal five tips to help you survive a road trip.
Travel Broadens the Mind
There’s nothing that quite embodies the ‘travel broadens your mind’ ethic quite like the road trip. When you take the car for an extended run on the tarmac, you get the chance to explore your destination in a way that you simply can’t by flying in and following the standard tourist guide.
And yet, there’s one thing that prevents many people from reaping the life changing rewards of a road trip for themselves. Road trips leave you cramped in a small space for a long period of time. As such, an extended stay in the car can leave you feeling too boxed-in to appreciate the fruits of your travel.
Avoid that ‘Boxed-In’ Feeling with These Five Tips
Which is why if you’re looking to take a road trip to explore a new region and benefit from life-changing experiences first, you need to know how to survive the journey. The following five tips will get you off to a good start.
- Stop the Car: If you confine yourself to the car for the whole day, you’ll go stir crazy by the time you reach your destination. Make sure you schedule a few stops so you can rest, stretch your body and take the time to refresh if you want to survive a road trip.
- Turn on the Radio: Sometimes, the best way to keep yourself sane when you’re stuck behind the wheel is to find a distraction. If you turn on the radio and crank up your favourite tunes, after a few minutes you’ll be too busy hosting a rock concert in your car to remember you’re supposed to be going stir crazy.
- Bring Snacks: People get angrier, and are more prone to frustration, when they’re hungry. That’s just a fact. That’s why you need to keep your energy levels up by packing a few snacks if you ever hope to come out of a road trip in one piece.
- Pack Light: It’s all a matter of space. If you pack everything but the kitchen sink, you’ll have less space. Soon enough, your life will turn into an old Hitchcock movie, and the walls will start to close in on you. Pack light and avoid claustrophobia.
- Invest in Satellite Navigation: Technology is your friend, it exists to make your life better. If you bring nothing but an old map to help you find your way, it’s only a matter of time until stopping to rifle through it every five miles sends you to the asylum. Just invest in a sat nav instead.
Reap the Benefits of This Life Changing Experience
A road trip is an amazing way to see the world around you up close, in a way you simply can’t by riding the rails or ascending to the skies. Yet if you really want to reap the benefits of this life changing experience, you need to ensure you are in the right frame of mind to do so.